Saturday 9 July 2011

Does the world need another blog?

This is the question I have been pondering all weekend. Does the world REALLY need another blog?

Of course, the answer is undeniably "no". But I think perhaps my little world does - and so I'm starting one.

I have been toying with the idea of a blog for months and months and months. Actually, its longer than a year, as I remember I almost started one when I was living in South Australia, and I've just realised that yesterday marked one year exactly from the day we left our little home in Mount Gambier and started our journey up north to Yeppoon - aka Poontown!

So much has happened in those 12 months  - my husband and I moved interstate, we both started new jobs, met new friends and learnt how to cope with living a long way away from our family and all of our existing friends.

My little Poppet.
But most importantly - we had a baby. Our little girl, Ella, is now almost seven months old. She is simply divine and we treasure her more and more every day. Watching her grow and learn is quite simply the most amazing thing ever.















Those were the big things which happened. But there were also a few little things.

I went from being a full-time worker, to a part-time worker, to a stay-at -home-mum, to now, being a working mum. I got a sewing machine for Christmas and took up sewing. I rediscovered my love for crafts and took up crocheting. I finished my 365photo challenge. I set myself a new challenge to hand make every present I gave for a year. I tried to restrain my spending now that we were down to one/one and a half income(s). I returned to clinical Occupational Therapy work for the first time since my University fieldwork days (well over a decade ago). I took a step back from building my photography and freelance journalism business - realised how much I missed it and began (thinking about) building it up again. I started going to local markets - but began doing my groceries online. My favourite magazines changed from Cosmo and Cleo, to Women's Health, Practical Parenting and Real Living. I discovered pinterest and etsy. I spent waaayyyyy too much time on facebook and reading blogs. And that's just the start.

Hand-made. My new challenge.
So why a blog? Because I love to write. I really do. I wrote a lot when I travelled the globe as a backpacker. I've worked as a journalist both for a newspaper and as a freelancer for local magazines. My ultimate job would truly be as a features writer or columnist for some glossy magazine. I'm not there yet, but maybe one day I will be. And maybe this blog will help me on my way.

Also, I love to take photos - blogs need those, right?


I love creating and I love showing off - so on this blog I could show off what I've created.

Plus - my Mum hates me living so far away and always wants to know what I'm up to - so this gives her one more way to check out what I'm doing. 

What's it going to be about? Everything I love - photography, cooking, sewing, craft. And whatever else strikes my fancy.

Why now? Why not? There's no time like the present (apparently).

So, welcome to my blog - I hope you like it.

Oh - and what does the name mean? If you're a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, you might recognise the phrase "Hello Poppet!" - uttered by one of the hideous undead pirates to the gorgeous Keira Knightley. I'm not sure why, but this is what I say to my little girl every morning. So that's what I'm calling my blog.


By the way, this is me, with my beautiful family. Photo by Marcus Jones Photographics.

1 comment:

  1. Just testing my comments box! Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete