Sunday 17 July 2011

Nana's recipes: Golden Syrup Rolly Polly

This little book is one of my most prized possessions.


















It's a recipe book given to me by my dear late Nana on my tenth birthday. It contains more than 70 of her favourite recipes, all carefully handwritten in her distinctive cursive script. It's wrapped in a metallic gold wrapping paper (which has wonderfully stood the test of time) and contains an inscription on the front page.



I still remember the day Nan gave me this book. I remember thinking it was just the best present ever. I still do.

I cherish this little book even more now, since my Nan passed away three years ago. I can open it and see her beautifully scripted words and it makes me feel like a little part of her is tucked away inside the pages of this book.

Some of Nan's recipes I now know off by heart - especially the tuna mornay and the banana cake. Over the years I've started to fill the remaining pages with many other favourite recipes I've gathered, so I use this recipe book fairly frequently.

But the other week I realised there are so many of Nan's recipes I haven't yet tried. Like most people, I've tended to stick to my favourites.

So I decided I should give them all a whirl - I do love a good challenge!

Last night, I started my challenge with the Golden Syrup Rolly Polly. My husband had a rough week at work, so I felt some comfort food was definitely in order.





Here's the end result...












And of course you can't serve it without a big spoonful of Double Dollop cream...











Here's the recipe:

Golden Syrup Rolly Polly

Dough ingredients:
* 1 cup SR flour
* Pinch of salt
* 2 tablespoons butter

Syrup ingredients:
* Golden syrup (however much you want!)
* 2 cups of hot water
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoon butter

Rub dough ingredients together with enough cold water to form a dough consistency.
Roll out and place in a pie dish.
Spread with golden syrup.
Mix together the hot water, sugar and butter, pour over the dough in the pie dish.

Bake in a moderate oven (180C) for one hour.



Love you Nan! Thanks for such a wonderful present. One day I will pass it on to my little girl - I'm sure she will love it just as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. The website loading speed is amazing. It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. manual for iphone 15 iphone 15 instruction manual user manual iphone 15 iphone 15 user guide pdf iphone 15 manual pdf iphone 15 manual book

    ReplyDelete