Monday 26 September 2011

How to spend a fun Saturday morning.

What did you do with your Saturday morning? Well, I spent mine taking an "art journalling" class, with the lovely and talented Angela Churchill from Little Bits of Me.

"Art journalling?" I hear you say, "Never heard of it". Neither had I, until I stumbled across Angela's stall at our local mother's market. Basically, it's a kind of painting/collage/scrapbook/diary hybrid. If you want to know more about the ins and outs of art journalling, check out this article.

I went along because I'm currently having a creativity rebirth (more about that at a later date) and was keen to try some painting techniques. I'd seen some of Angela's work with art canvases and wanted to find out how she had crafted them.

The class was so much fun. There were nine lovely women participating, ranging in age from about 12 to about 60 (I think, hope I"m not offending anyone!) Everyone had a blast, and it was such a positive, encouraging atmosphere.

It was also lovely to be doing something purely for the fun of it. I think that's something most of us are missing these days - we're so focused on what we have to do, that we don't get time for what we want to do. It often seems selfish to take time out for ourselves, purely for pleasure, especially with a million competing work and family demands taking up all of our time.

But it's something I think people should do more often. I came out of the class with a spring in my step. Not because I'd created any kind of masterpiece. but because I'd had fun, and done something I had wanted to do, just for the sake of it.

I'm sure we've all got a few things we want to do? What's yours? Do you want to learn how to play the bagpipes? Go horseback riding? Jump out of an aeroplane (hopefully with a parachute attached). Do you think you can find some time this week to do it? This month? Before the end of the year? Go on, I challenge you.

Ps. In case you're interested, here's what I created in my three hour workshop in Saturday. Any offers over $3 million each will be considered...






No comments:

Post a Comment